|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 8 oz fresh bread cubed
- 1 tbsp Frescolio Mushroom and Sage Infused Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp butter or sub with 1 tbsp of the EVOO
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 small leeks sliced
- 4 oz spinach
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp hot sauce optional
- 1 heaping cup grated Gruyère cheese or sub with Emmental, Jarlsberg, Beaufort, Comté
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spread the cubed bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10 minutes until slightly golden.
- Heat the oil and butter (if using) in a large, oven-proof skillet or cast iron pan. Add the mushrooms, leeks and a big pinch of sea salt + pepper and sauté about 8 minutes, until veggies are softened. Stir in the spinach and then turn off the heat. Once the spinach has wilted a bit, stir in the toasted cubed bread.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, cream, sea salt, pepper, dried oregano and hot sauce and whisk well to combine, until the eggs are a uniform colour and there are some air bubbles in the mixture. Stir in the cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet, over the veggies and bread. Press the bread pieces down a bit so they get as much egg as possible on them. Leave to soak at room temperature for an hour, or covered, overnight in the refrigerator.
- Adjust the oven temperature to 350F. Place the skillet on the middle rack and bake for 30 minutes, or until you can shake the pan and the center is no longer liquid. Keep in mind that the eggs will continue to set as they cool down.
- Garnish the top with fresh parsley and serve warm.
This recipe uses our Mushroom & Sage Infused EVOO. You could also use any of the following oils: